R. Subramaniam, PhD
National Institute of Education
Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Keynote Title: “Fostering interest in science through enrichment activities”
Abstract: Science enrichment activities provide useful opportunities for students to have hands-on experience with science in a real world setting. Such activities have been shown to promote cognitive gains as well as improve attitudes towards science. While informal institutions for the promotion of science are a useful venue for ready-made science enrichment activities, carefully crafted activities within the school setting can also be helpful. In this presentation, I share some of the findings from my research group in these areas, and argue for the need for science enrichment programs to be given greater attention by schools.
Bio: Dr R. Subramaniam is an Associate Professor at the National Institute of Education in Nanyang Technological University in Singapore. He has previously held the administrative appointments of Associate Dean (Educational Research) and Associate Dean (Graduate Academic Programs) at the Institute. His current research interests are in the areas of science education, physics education, chemistry education, STEM education, primary science education, informal science education and science communication. Publications number over 100, and this comprises 75 papers in peer-reviewed international journals, 40 peer-reviewed chapters in edited books of international publishers, 6 books published by international publishers and 3 guest-edited special issues of international journals. He has successfully graduated 5 PhD and 10 Master’s degree students in various areas of science education.
Keynote Title : “Paradigms of Educational Research in Science and Mathenatics”
Bio: Adnan Baki is a Professor of Mathematics Education at Fatih Faculty of Education in Karadeniz Technical University. He is holding a Masters in Curriculum and Instruction from the University of New Brunswick, Canada and PhD in Mathematics Education form the University of London, UK. His teaching consists of graduate and undergraduate level teaching in mathematics education and technology -enhanced learning. As a supervisor he directed 34 doctoral studies in mathematics education and instructional Technologies. He also directed 6 research projects, two of them were TUBITAK (Turkish Scientific and Technological Research Council) projects, all of which focused on teacher education and instructional technologies.
Prof. Dr. Baki has authored three books so far, including “Mathematics Education in Theory and Practice”, “History of Mathematics and Philosophy of Mathematics” and “Computer-based Mathematics Teaching”. His publications, in national and international journals are about 64. He is currently an editor in chief of Turkish Journal of Computer and Mathematics Education.
Dr. Lazar Stošić,
College for Professional Studies Educators, Aleksinac, Serbia
Keynote Title : “Does the Use of ICT Enable Easier, Faster and Better Acquiring of Knowledge?”
Abstract: This paper aims to examine whether the use of ICT (Information Communication Technologies) enable easier, faster and better acquiring of knowledge. The study included 218 students from College for professional studies educators, Aleksinac, Serbia. A five-point Likert scale for students was designed. The scale was made up of 45 claims and its purpose was to determine whether the use of ICT enhances students’ skills. The results of the research show that the use of ICT enable easier, faster and better acquiring of knowledge. Qualitatively and quantitatively, students’ opinions were given, and hypotheses were confirmed.
Keywords: ICT in education; high education; students’abilities; attitudes of students.
Bio: Dr Lazar Stošić was born 06/13/1973. He is the Doctor of Computer Science. He completed his doctoral studies at the Faculty of Informatics and Information Technologies in 2009, Serbia. Working at the College for Professional Studies Educators, Aleksinac, Serbia. His speciality is educational technology, information technology and computer science. He has over 40 published papers in the country and abroad and one book. He has a large number of licenses and certificates in the field of computer science and education technology. Some of the certificates are from Springer Academy (How to Write and Submit a Journal Article, Journal Author Academy Part 1- Writing your Manuscript, Journal Author Academy Part 2 Submitting and Peer Review, Peer Review Academy, Springer English Academy, Book Author Academy – Certificate). He also serves on Editorial Boards in many journals. He was an honorary professor at the conference in Russia.
Some of the professional activities:
- President and co-founder of the Association for the Development of Science, Engineering and Education, http://www.urnio.org.rs/index.php/2013-07-05-15-01-55
- Editor in chief of the International Journal of Research in Cognitive Science, Engineering and Education (IJCRSEE) www.ijcrsee.com
- Member of the Society for Computer Science, Germany, Number: GI 59631, from 01.07.2009. – Gesellschaft für Informatics e.V. (GI), German Informatics Society, Mitgliedsnummer: GI 59631 AhrstraBe 45, 53175 Bonn, Germany,
- Member of the Society for Science and the Media, E-learning center at the University of Zurich since 2009 – Gesellschaft für Medien in der Wissenschaft (GMW) e. V., E-Learning Center der Universität Zürich, Zürich,
- Member of the program committee of internationally active scientific conference ‘Research paradigms childhood education’, the Conference of Teacher Education Faculty, University of Zagreb. 13 – April 15, 2015, http://www.penta-pco.com/congress/content.php?id=35&pageID=107&lang=HR
- Member of the Organizing Committee of The International Scientific Conference “Innovative educational potential of space and subjects the conditions of education modernization” (20-21 November 2014, Russia, Rostov-on-Don)
- Implementer of four seminars for continuous professional development of teachers, educators, professional associates and head for school 2014/2015 and 2015/2016., accredited by the Institute for the Advancement of Education, in accordance with European ECDL (European Computer Driving Licence) standards of IT skills – http://katalog2015.zuov.rs/Default.aspx?oblast=21#kompetencije , no. 180, 181, 182, 183.
- Implementer of four seminars for continuous professional development of teachers, educators, professional associates and head for school 2016/2017 and 2017/2018., accredited by the Institute for the Advancement of Education, in accordance with European ECDL (European Computer Driving Licence) standards of IT skills – http://katalog2016.zuov.rs/Default.aspx?oblast=21#kompetencije , no. 215, 216, 217, 218.
- President of the Commission for the evaluation of works of ICT in the Republican contest of technical and IT education, Branko Radičević, Vranje, 18 and 19 April 2014.
- Member of the Organizing Committee IV International Scientific Conference “Innovative educational potential of space and subjects the conditions of education modernization” (21-22 November 2013 Russia, Rostov-on-Don)
- E-Skills Week – on-line exam in the organization of the Unified Association of Serbia, under the auspices of the European Union, the European Commission, the European ICT Assembly (CEPIS), authorized examiner at ‘EBC’ test center of Belgrade, 1-5. March 2010
- Certified tester for taking and receiving ECDL / ICDL licenses’ EBC ”, Advanced Centre in Belgrade, since 2006
Prof. Dr. Adem KARAHOCA
Rector of Cyprus BAHCESEHIR UNIVERSITY
Bedrettin Demirel Avenue BAU Tower
Keynote Title: “Big Data Analytics Applications in Health Informatics and Psycho-Informatics: Digital Medicine Revolution”
Abstract: This topic provides new information about big data in the context of health informatics and psycho-informatics. Key characteristics of big data in health informatics and psycho-informatics are related with structured and unstructured genomics, psychometrics, metabolomics, clinical diagnosis and physiological personal data. Big data analytics will have prestigious effects on disease management in public health and preventive medicine on personalized treatment. This study focusses on new and forthcoming trends on big data in health and psychology.
Online and ubiquitous computation devices such as smart phones, tablets, wearable devices record every step of the users. Big data analytics presents an opportunity to monitor and analyzing not only the vital signs of human but also the behavior of the users in ubiquitous environment.
Technology and mobile devices cause the new generation to constantly collect information and engage in messaging. This situation can lead to the emergence of both health-related health problems and the persistence of these problems. One of the most important technology-focused health problems is technology and internet addiction. Technology and Internet addictiveness can be treated by psychologists and psychiatrists by using new psycho-informatics methods and technologies. By this viewpoint, psychology and psychiatry researchers have an interest to use modern data analytics methods to cure or provide some help to the Z generation of youngsters.
From this point of view, we have shared in this study the applications of big medical data, especially health, psychology and medicine, which will provide great advantages in the digital medicine revolution. Examples of some important health data analysis studies we can share include A) Processing of gene expression data by biostatistics methods, b) Examination of electronic patient records and laboratory results by machine training methods, c) Machine learning methods and risk analysis before surgery operations, d) Analysis of PET scans and patient records by machine learning methods, e) Processing of air quality data collected by social networks with machine learning methods, f) Analysis of users’ feelings in news tweets by machine learning methods .
Biography: He is a software engineer and holds a PhD degree in Software Engineering. He is giving lectures in management of information systems, IT management services, data mining and software engineering. He has interested in human computer interaction, web based education systems, data mining, business intelligence, big data, big data in bioinformatics and management information systems. He has published articles, books and book chapters at the prestigious journals about use and data mining applications of business information systems in health, tourism, and education. He has edited and coedited books in data mining, mobile computing, data mining applications in engineering and medicine. He is coordinator in medical informatics in BAU Health and Sciences Institute. He is an academic member at the Academic World Education and Research Center. He is the founder rector of Bahçeşehir Cypurs University in Lefkoşa at Cyprus.
A/Professor Ergun Gide, PhD
Deputy Dean Research | School of Engineering and Technology
CQUniversity Australia, 400 Kent Street, Sydney NSW 2000
Keynote Title: “The Challenges and Opportunities of Teaching Information Technology Courses in Mobile Digital Age: Preparing University IT Programs beyond 2020”